Dropping Turkeys from Airplanes May Cease in Yellville, Arkansas
Good News! Arkansas Online reported April 25, 2018 that:
“The Mid-Marion County Rotary Club has decided to sponsor the annual Turkey Trot festival this year in Yellville after another sponsor backed out.
The Rotary Club voted 16-6 on Monday to take over sponsorship, but only if no live turkeys are on the premises or dropped from airplanes, said Stan Duffy, president elect of the Rotary Club.”
Read this promising article: Arkansas festival gets sponsor under condition that no live turkeys thrown from plane.
UPC president Karen Davis posted a grateful comment:
“This is truly good news! Thank you on behalf of the turkeys and all of us who have urged Yellville to refuse to have anything to do with throwing live birds out of airplanes. Turkeys are not suited for such a terrifying ordeal. I believe most residents do not view throwing them from moving aircraft to be amusing or acceptable. The Rotary Club is making the right decision from every standpoint.”
For background on the Yellville, Arkansas “turkey drop” and our campaign with other groups to expose and eliminate it since the early 1990s, see our Alerts:
- Arkansas Online Editorial Opposes Turkey Drop 17 October 2017
- Yellville, Arkansas: A Sad, Bad Place 16 October 2017
- Letter from Nedim C. Buyukmihci, VMD to Yellville Mayor 28 July 2017
- Letter from Nedim C. Buyukmihci, VMD to Yellville Chamber of Commerce 28 July 2017
- Tell Yellville to Stop Dropping Turkeys from Airplanes 27 July 2017
- Arkansas Town Is Dropping Live Turkeys From Plane Again This Year 12 October 2016
- Stop Dropping Live Turkeys from Airplanes! 9 October 2016
- Yellville Turkey Drop: “Festival of Death” — National Enquirer 14 October 2015