Recipe from www.veganosity.com (slightly modified)
- 1 14 ounce package firm tofu
- ¾ cup of fresh squeezed lime juice
- Lime zest from two limes
- ½ cup water
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch
- ¼ teaspoon finely ground sea salt
- 1 or 2 drops of green vegan food coloring
Blend all filling ingredients in a blender until smooth. Pour into a medium sauce pan and cook on medium low heat, stirring ocassionally, until it becomes
thick and creamy, like pudding. Set aside to cool.
- 1 15 ounce can chickpeas
- ¾ cup of finely ground sugar (or grind regular sugar in a blender)
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Put a colander over a large mixing bowl. Drain the chickepea brine into mixing bowl. Add the cream of tartar to the brine and mix with a whisk attachment
on a high speed until combined. Turn off the mixer and add the sugar and vanilla and mix on a high speed for ten to fifteen minutes or until the meringue
forms stiff peaks.
2 packages of phyllo cups
Put the phyllo cups on a baking sheet and fill with the lime filling. Top with a dollop of meringue and put under the broiler until the meringue begins to
brown. Turn the pan to brown them evenly. Watch carefully so they don’t burn, and never leave them unattended while they are under the broiler.
Cover and refrigerate for at least eight hours to set.
You may have extra filling and meringue left over. Put them in a ramekin (single serve baking dish) and make a “baked Alaska.”