Wild Mushroom Strudel with
From December 2009 VegNews
- 2 tablespoons + 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1/2 shallot, minced
- 3 pounds mixed wild mushrooms
(chanterelle, crimini, porcini, etc.), minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 1/4 pound walnuts, toasted and chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 box whole-wheat phyllo dough
- Shallot Crème (see recipe)
1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, add olive oil. Add shallots and cook until translucent. Add mushrooms, salt, and pepper, and cook, stirring often, until most of the water has cooked out and evaporated. Remove from heat, allow to cool to room temperature, then stir in walnuts and thyme.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. On a cutting board, lay out one piece of phyllo dough. Brush the top of the phyllo with olive oil and top with another piece of phyllo. Brush that piece of phyllo with olive oil. Repeat until there are five pieces of phyllo stacked on top of each other. Spread mushroom mixture on phyllo and roll into a strudel. Slice strudel into six pieces. On a sheet pan lined with parchment paper, lay strudel slices. Bake until phyllo is brown and crispy, approximately 20 minutes. For each plate, serve one slice of strudel topped with shallot crème.
Vegan Recipe Corner
- 3/4 cup cashews, soaked
- 1 cup filtered water
- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1/4 tablespoon shallot, minced
- 1/4 tablespoon garlic, minced
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
1. In a blender or food processor, place cashews, water, and 3 tablespoons of canola oil, and blend until smooth.
2. In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, heat remaining canola oil. Add shallots and saute until translucent. Add garlic and saute 1 minute more. Add cashew creme, bring to a boil, and then simmer until slightly reduced. Strain through a chinois (fine mesh conical sieve) and season to taste with salt and pepper.