January 12, 2021
Attention: Allison Arwady
City of Chicago, Il Via Email: email@example.com
Dear Commissioner Arwady:
On behalf of United Poultry Concerns, a national animal protection organization, I am writing to you about observations documented at Aden Poultry, located at 2731 W. Lawrence Avenue, on January 7, 2021. I urge you to close down this slaughterhouse, which displayed numerous Health code and animal cruelty violations that appear to be routine. The investigator with the Chicago-based organization Free from Harm (freefromharm.org) observed a delivery of chickens from Aden's supplier, Middlebury Produce Inc. Here are the violations that were found:
- Crates of birds covered in encrusted feces, several crates stacked one on top of the other
- Birds transported in very poor and overcrowded conditions
- Birds showing clear signs of suffering, some with splayed legs forced to squat in their own waste, some flapping wings continuously in a desperate attempt to be ambulatory
- Putrid smell and loud sounds of slamming crates, creating public nuisance
- No staff on hand during delivery
- Truckers hauling birds into a detached, 2-car garage, about 50 ft. from main facility
- Birds presumably housed in this garage overnight which does not comply with the city's food code rules
- Birds left in garage at least until the next day, denied food and water and languishing in these miserable and waste-ridden conditions.
We join Free from Harm in urging you to shut down Aden Poultry immediately based on the documented Health code violations and the extreme suffering and mistreatment of the chickens in the transport crates. Please let us know what you will do as soon as possible. We look forward to your response and we appreciate your time. Thank you for your attention.
Karen Davis, PhD, President
United Poultry Concerns
PO Box 150
Machipongo, VA 23405
United Poultry Concerns is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that promoting the compassionate and respectful treatment of domestic fowl.
Federal ID: 52-1705678